The average Physician Assistant salary is $101,203 as of October 28, 2020, but the salary range typically falls between $89,375 and $116,675.Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. I need cars. And then really the rest of the time has just been dumb luck. Threads or posts not on topic will be deleted or moved to the appropriate forum at moderator discretion. Dr. Jim Dahle: So, if someone is 15 years behind you, they're a med student, they're a dental student, they're an undergraduate, they're an intern. Woman physician millionaire 5: Okay. I really appreciate all you do. Then for a good solid decade, I worked my tail off and earned a lot more than that. Woman physician millionaire 2: I'm glad it did. ... You're not gonna become a millionaire with a minimum wage work ethic. © 2018 PhysicianAssistantForum.Com. And just the aversion to debt. If you’ve already purchased the report, refer to your email receipt for access. That's a generalization. Woman physician millionaire 5: Woman physician millionaire 2: And I think it also made me really cognizant when I was choosing a husband, somebody who had similar values with regards to goals for money. Do you remember when you came out of training what your net worth was? I've read both of your books at this point. So that led me to all the usual things, the Boglehead Wiki, Michael Kitches, all of those greats. So, I think it's a great series of episodes. That's what I would say. I’m glad to hear that there are other non-doctor ladies listening to this podcast. And then this past year we started a retirement account for him. Woman physician millionaire 2: Jessica: PAs do not operate. So, to ask me about my investments and things is not my strength. I have a responsibility to my family to maintain financial security. We got super lucky and that we made money on that house in residency. I did make some deliberate career moves to make sure that I was placing myself in organizations that I knew were going to be friendly to women and who had leaders who were going to be supportive and could mentor me in my career path. Why can't you get wealthy on $150k a year? So, women really have never crossed 20% for earning engineering degrees and that's actually been on a slight decline since the early 2000s. I mean, how did you become so wealthy? Woman millionaire: Woman physician millionaire 2: Did they pay for your school or did you get any sort of an inheritance or anything like that that contributed to this? I think you just do all you can to lead by example, you don't have debt, you talk about working hard and you talk about saving money for things. And I've just been kind of chipping away at it. Dr. Jim Dahle: “I think that it's important to have a plan B. He is not. So, what was the difference there in your mindset? Now if someone said they expected to get rich in a PA interview I'd tell them to go into finance and work on Wall Street because they are on the slow track to join the yacht club. And he said, “No, no, we're going to do this”. Certain men would get most of those shifts or everybody that had a set schedule seemed to be one of the guys, with a nice, profitable schedule. What else do you do for income? Dr. Jim Dahle: But another guest shared an experience she had joining a private practice early in her career. Well, congratulations on your success and thank you for being willing to come on the podcast. I think there is a lot of truth there. So, the scheduling wasn't equitable. My bachelor's and master's degrees are in engineering. you are close to 150-200k 1 yr out of school? Women physician millionaire 1: Woman physician millionaire 3: Surprisingly, several were not really sure when they crossed over one million dollars for their net worth, most fell into the 5-10 year range. Woman physician millionaire 5: Women physician millionaire 1: And a little bit is in HSA and cash. Yeah. And I appreciate you also promoting the blog because I want you as a podcast listener when you have specific questions that blog is available all the time. Woman physician millionaire 5: Thanks for what you do. He's an engineer just like me. Most of the medical directors of all of the groups are men. Society for Physician Assistants in Pediatrics (SPAP) One (1) $500 award to a student in their didactic or clinical year. Any other ways that your upbringing affected you? I finished in 2007. Woman millionaire: Women physician millionaire 1: Unfortunately, I didn't really pay much attention to money or my spending until more recently. Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman physician millionaire 5: And she referred to that as having lots of extra money. My old outlook - if you went into medicine to make a lot of money - wrong profession for the wrong reasons. Dr. Jim Dahle: If you truly want to be a doctor that’s great. Now you mentioned before we started recording that you have three kids. No. It's amazing how much wealth you can grow when you live like the average American, but earn like a doctor, huh? There's just no way around it. Woman millionaire: Because there's lots of people with high incomes that never build much wealth. Women physician millionaire 1: Woman physician millionaire 5: I had to learn it. People loved it. Awesome. Dr. Jim Dahle: Probably maybe 15% in our home, 15% to 20% is cash and bonds. It was something that kind of carried on my shoulder all the time. Dr. Jim Dahle: Dr. Jim Dahle: Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman millionaire: Straighten out your financial life today! And I'm not a believer in giving them allowances. When certain committees are up, they will just kind of overlook you.”. We got just a little bit of flack about it, however, because I think all but one of the physician millionaires were men. I’m an Ob-Gyn generalist and I've been practicing for 16 years. Does he work? But even compared to my co-residents I had plenty of friends that had more debt than that. "Nurse practitioners and physician assistants are paid substantially less than a typical physician," says Fischer-Wright. So, let's talk about help from your parents. Good podcast and great content lately… Definitely a refresher from the drama and rantings and COVID truther-ism on the other “social” parts of WCI (which sadly I know you have little control over). Woman physician millionaire 2: And when certain committees are up, they will just kind of overlook you. She kind of balanced the checkbook, but at the end of the day, she was never really given an opportunity to learn about those things. We always made sure we had enough money to be able to do that. You can do whatever you want, but I would recommend against trying to set a value for SS or pensions. So maybe there's something else I can do with my money”. He specializes in working with residents and fellows early in their careers to set up sound financial and insurance strategies. And then of course we have a guest post each week. And I say that to single out as sex simply because I leaned a lot on my father growing up. Join Facebook to connect with Ashleigh Pedone and others you may know. Woman physician millionaire 5: I grew up with parents that worked all the time and we never had money and they don't see that same kind of situation. I mean, your salary is less, which seems silly because people would say, “Well, how can you make less if everybody makes the same an hour and it's a shift job?” But you do because if you're a hundred percent RVU's, there are certain shifts that are much more profitable shifts. So just conversations about that. Woman physician millionaire 5: Saving is one thing, but 50%? Thank you for sharing your story and being willing to come on the podcast. Physician assistants work in all areas of medicine, including primary care and family medicine, emergency medicine, surgery, and psychiatry. Woman physician millionaire 2: I looked at what we were paying in mortgage. Yeah. The second one to be very intentional about your spending. One of which is an older post by me that's been updated. Woman physician millionaire 5: We were just able to kind of build our wealth more and then having kids later on in that process, I think that helped a bit. I wouldn't say it hurt me, because I worked for a good company and in a good location, but it did. So, it's more time allocation I'd say than dollars. Cardiothoracic PAs usually work with a cardiothoracic surgeon to treat patients who are in the process of undergoing surgery on the heart, lungs or esophagus. The podcast was great. Quite honestly, I'd be perfectly content to die with $0.35 in my bank account - because you can't take it with you! Woman physician millionaire 3: How long did it take you to become a millionaire? How long did it take you guys to become millionaires out of training? All right. The Best Books for Pre-PAs, Practicing PAs and For Your PA School Clinical and Didactic Years “The more that you read, the more things you will know. They paid for school or have you received an inheritance or was this all from your earning? And so, there's expected responsibilities that the kids do, but I don't pay them for such. I am a radiation oncologist and I am 15 years out of training. Dr. Jim Dahle: I don't think I was extremely materialistic. Another guest said her secret to success was luck, hard work, and education. And about two thirds of that is in retirement accounts, about one third in a taxable account. I had always been good about saving and I had always been good about paying myself first and doing all of that stuff. Be sure to check those out. And then he gifted it to his four children. I guess it just goes to show you that there is no way to please everyone, especially on politically sensitive topics. About $100,000 in cash. Women physician millionaire 1: Yes, he's an actuary. Do you have any idea what yours was when you came out of training? I think having a good support structure is important. What is your specialty and how far are you out of training? What does it take to become a millionaire? Dr. Jim Dahle: And it was usually me and 10 other guys doing that same thing. Did they start out in a big hole like most of their physician colleagues? I can’t comment on Indian culture, sorry! I do have a higher income spouse who is a physician assistant, but that year we made $170,000 total together. Woman physician millionaire 5: Jessica: So, when we identified that as our number one priority, all the other things on “how could we spend our money” sort of fell into place. I drive a Honda, make good money, have one child, and am very comfortable. It was definitely negative. $1.9 million. It's just not possible. Dr. Jim Dahle: Mick Connors is a pediatric emergency physician. Dr. Jim Dahle: And so, I would say the only thing that has been helpful for me, even without that language is I do understand a little bit about asset allocation. Our guest on the podcast today is a millionaire, a women physician millionaire. It is the temporary supplement to the Pennsylvania Code, which is the official codification of rule, regulations and other statutorily authorized documents.The Governor publishes executive orders, proclamations, and the like. It's totally. Dr. Jim Dahle: In our example above, the 35 year old mid-level with a $350,000 net worth would be considered an Average Accumulator of Wealth (AAW) So, this podcast is for your entertainment and information only and should not be considered official personalized financial advice. Dr. Jim Dahle: And do you own a house as well or no? That's just always meant that I've stood out. Dr. Jim Dahle: And so, it's more important for me to achieve that cool thing than to whatever it is in the moment, buy that nice thing or go out to that nice restaurant. I started around $200,000 when I first came out of residency and now, I'm probably like in the $400,000 range. Though even those recommended paying attention to where your money is going and learning about finances and investing. And my co-residents or friends that have lived in other areas, whether it be like Colorado, Chicago, or whatnot, work just as hard as me, if not harder and don't make anywhere near as much money. It sounds like your kids are still pretty young. Other than that, though, I mean, things are great. Why? They never wanted for anything and we never wanted for anything. If you speak up in a meeting, you're not just speaking for yourself, you are kind of, in some sense, representing all of womankind when you're the only one in the room. Honestly, if you think about it and you just put the numbers in, if you put in even just the minimum requirement, which is $50,000 and you let that ride for a dozen years, you'd be a millionaire, even if you don't put in 8%. And how do you balance that? Like if you have a cheaper option, take the cheaper option. Do you think you were naturally frugal or did you learn that at some point or what happened? But my real goal is to get rid of my financial advisor. Dr. Jim Dahle: I like helping people too, my family most of all! And I don't know when you look at your own kids, if you worry about their own drive compared to yours depending on your upbringing versus how much money you have now. You can become wealthy however it will not happen in a decade nor if your debt-to-income ratio is too high.  Eradicate your debt and invest.  Work hard to get to one million dollars invested and let compounding interest handle the rest.  Wealth will come but it takes time and discipline. Dr. Jim Dahle: And then starting to save early, max out your retirement and retirement accounts and make sure you live like a resident for a few years. Awesome. Other medical specialties also depend upon practice building, but can generally relocate into another group with minimal disruptions to income. I wish I'd done that. Woman physician millionaire 5: Dr. Jim Dahle: Dr. Jim Dahle: But the real eye-opener came on this where I had to get a car, my car died. So, looking back at that, I'm wondering what else I missed out on because I’m a female. The work of physician assistants depends in large part on their specialty or the type of medical practice where they work. Is that your goal? And that means that there isn't much left for personal time. Woman physician millionaire 5: I hope that you found this episode interesting and inspiring. In the mean time, best of luck with furthering your career goals and salary, if that's what you really want. I found your book, your first book. That actually kind of blew my mind. Dr. Jim Dahle: That's a pretty great way to pay for medical school for those who are eligible for it. And then my third secret was starting early. Women physician millionaire 1: Dr. Jim Dahle: It's getting tiring. Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman millionaire: He is an independent provider of disability insurance planning solutions to the medical community in every state and a long-time white coat investor sponsor. Woman physician millionaire 3: Finance and a doctor. And what's your approximate net worth? Dr. Jim Dahle: Very helpful. Education, meaning financial education, through blogs and books. Dr. Jim Dahle: She said the scheduling wasn't equitable, which affected salaries. So, learning from you and all of that was key to us, more recently. Woman physician millionaire 2: Thank you. I had a single seven figure year, one year. I speak English as my first language. How long did it take you to become a millionaire? I also helped with my own savings that I earned from working in junior college. And so, I think having a plan B or a side gig, whether it be something small or just something else you do is crucial, especially in the market we are in. Woman physician millionaire 3: Dr. Jim Dahle: And the interesting thing about that I see on a lot of people who become successful is they start going, “What do I do with all this extra money?” And when I talk to people who aren’t successful, it's “I don't have any extra money”. You've got this and we can help. Woman physician millionaire 2: Exploring this further is not politically sensitive, it’s advocacy for equal treatment. Okay. Dr. Jim Dahle: My wife and I met when we were both broke, we got use to living on a combined 30k income for years before I started PA school, and have every plan to pay off our combined loans (projected: 90k) within 4 years of my graduation. Yeah. Very negative. The med school loans I think they were about $200,000 when I came out. Woman physician millionaire 3: Lead by example, don't have debt, talk about working hard and saving money for things. There's a lot of great information on the blog. But a woman physician is FAR more likely to be married to a high earner than a man physician, statistically speaking. Thanks for sharing and thanks for being one of the non-doctor listeners out there. And that's when we really started tracking things. Woman physician millionaire 2: Category: Investing, Personal Finance, Practice management. We were provided for everything we could want, but I think that watching some of the stress that went on in the family when it comes to finances, I decided I really wanted a solid career, something that would provide fairly well. Students and applicants may participate in relevant topics, but are to start new threads in their respective sections only, NOT here. So, kids came along a little bit later. Is your husband a doc as well? Thank you. Jessica: Dr. Jim Dahle: Did you ever have a seven-figure year? Woman millionaire: I feel like I'm behind the proverbial eight-ball in certain aspects in life. Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman physician millionaire 2: I appreciate you having me and thank you for all you do. You can use a financial advisor as long as you're getting good advice at a reasonable price and still be very successful. And I think that I saw the value of hard work, consistent saving. Then once I got my husband on board, that provided a context, a framework in which we can make decisions about, for example, how much houses do we want to buy? I still have student loans, but they're at like at 1.6% and it's only $150,000. I seriously doubt after decades of pinching pennies that anyone can unlearn being that degree of a cheapskate. Woman physician millionaire 5: It's not very many at all. I'd rather spend money on other things like travel and food. The podcast is sponsored by Bob Bhayani at drdisabilityquotes.com. I mean, first of all, don't underestimate compounding interest. , I really had a difficult time and I nearly didn't make it through my first year of residency. It's all about a problem and solving that problem with enough that your plan will pass a stress test in the event that it ends up having more asked of it than you originally thought. I didn't realize we're at nearly $1.5 million. Dr. Jim Dahle: This podcast is sponsored by Bob Bhayani at drdisabilityquotes.com. I appreciate it. And how was that divided up? Dr. Jim Dahle: And recently she expressed desire for a certain toy that really gets her excited. Thank you. That’s a pretty unique way to pay for college. I'm interested in the FI-part. Woman millionaire: Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman millionaire: Do you have any debt at all now? And then my husband has another home that he brought into the marriage that one of his family members lives in and that still has a mortgage. I came here when I was a baby. So that in the long run, he could see kind of the difference between playing with a fraction of it or not. So really the only help was that the property, whatever the home equity and the property was that your husband brought into the marriage? Women physician millionaire 1: Well, thank you so much for coming on the White Coat Investor podcast. Well, very nice. Woman physician millionaire 4: You are very welcome. The path to wealth--as I'd define it-- is deceptively simple: Systematically and ruthlessly eliminate debt, Live well below your means---modest car, modest small home, minimize frivolous expenses. There's no differences in salaries or anything like that. So, first of all, I came out of residency, pregnant with twins. Happy to be here. I had to pay for one year of undergrad and that was with partial scholarships, but then I got a nice pre-med scholarship and it paid for the rest of my undergrad education. Woman physician millionaire 3: And somehow all the men in the group got those shifts. You mentioned you had some real estate. And so, I hadn't even thought about the fact that I might go into groups where I was the only woman. It can be taken too far. So check back often and feel free to submit your own ideas down below. That is the goal. Paste as plain text instead, × Not all have invested in real estate or have a side business. Woman millionaire: Loved learning about each of their stories! Woman millionaire: But realistically you will have a difficult if not impossible time becoming a millionaire based on your physician's salary. I think that gives you that natural drive, which is harder to have. Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman millionaire: I had an alcoholic father and that was a bit of a superpower because it allowed me to realize how I didn't want to end up. Woman physician millionaire 3: The way I see it, I can be a typical American consumer and save about 10%, inflate my lifestyle and accommodations every few years, "live for the now" (aka spend for happiness), and retire at the typical age of 60-65 if I'm lucky. Awesome. I think being a mother or a woman puts in extra obstacles because you're balancing more balls in the air. My parents didn't finish college. Woman physician millionaire 3: That was very, very, very difficult. What advice do you have for those who are a decade or two behind you and want to be where you're at? Women physician millionaire 1: Dr. Jim Dahle: It got me interested in finance. He is an independent provider of disability insurance planning solutions to the medical community in every state and a long-time White Coat Investor sponsor. Woman physician millionaire 2: Dr. Jim Dahle: And so, they just aren't around it. Hear the experiences of seven millionaires in this episode talk about how they did it. But all the others were in the negative, ranging from -$120K-$300K. Dr. Jim Dahle: How Can I Become A Millionaire As A Physician- Friday Q&A Series. Here's your host, Dr. Jim Dahle. And so, we decided, “Hey, why don't we do an episode that's all or mostly women?” And so, we put out a call a few months ago to have women physician millionaires contact us, and we would interview them and get their interviews on the podcast. Dr. Jim Dahle: Another was an aversion to debt. Women physician millionaire 1: Woman physician millionaire 5: It's just with that delayed gratification of medicine, by the time I got out, I wasn't really interested in savings. So, you're very unique among doctors. And I'd read Michelle Singletary’s column in the Washington Post. I think your question “How did you balance being a mom and becoming a millionaire?”, missed the mark. 10 Biggest Financial Mistakes Doctors Make, Stupid Doctor Tricks – Biggest Financial Mistakes. Hope you find the answer you're seeking. It must be very lonely to have to speak for half of humanity. I have another friend who made payments through her residency and she's gained a $100,000 in interest in loans in eight years. That's true. Awesome. Just an opinion…, Can’t win sometimes. Instead, they assist surgeons before, during and after the procedure. Woman physician millionaire 2: When he took the male counterpart, my colleague, to dinner, he basically said, “I'm going to groom you to take over the practice. So, we've talked about what that means and how mommy and daddy have to work more in order to be able to provide that for her. But I was really lucky. I mean, I think somebody that came out maybe 5 or 10 years before that may not have said the same thing. About a year later, my husband started becoming interested in the FIRE movement and he started listening to BiggerPockets, which is a real estate podcast. For those years it really wasn't an issue. And more importantly, my father always taught us “You never have too little to give”. No, however, I do have Whole Life. So, kind of where you choose to work plus what you choose to do makes a huge difference. I'm in a very, I don't want to say the lifestyle friendly specialty, but I'm not in the hospital all night, multiple times a week. Okay. Congratulations on your success. And so, I hope you took that message away from this episode. We did start to max those out pretty early on. Exactly. To get that first million in net worth? Jessica: Upload or insert images from URL. Jessica: Invest the surplus. I’m getting the impression, however, that there is no way I can please you. Is there a spouse or partner that's also contributing to that income or is that all income you're earning? And I happened to get one job and stick with it for the 16 years. No. Yeah, sure. And then within each of the stock and bond category, we're about 60/40, total U.S. market and then total international. And there are some subjects that lend themselves well to a podcast. Yeah. Living in a financially responsible way is a discipline, just like eating right and exercise. It's wearing on all of us. And I wasn't interested in doing that anymore. And then our real estate after mortgages is about $360,000-ish. //Time magazine recently estimated that for a millennial with 40 years until retirement, $1 million in savings is not likely sufficient. I'd hate to know what you have to do for the number of hours you have to work to make that, and it isn't even enough to match the standard of living in the majority of the rest of the country (election red states as a reference). Yeah. We both are really conservative in how we spend and that's kind of something you can teach, but it's something that you have a natural tendency towards. Jessica: So, we've got $237,000 in Roth IRAs, $278,000 in TSP, $44,000 in a solo 401(k), $168,000 in your brokerage account, $192,000 in private equity real estate. Jessica: And by that time, I got out, it was $220,000 or so. And I think we also got really lucky in real estate and that was pure luck and not scale at all. So then as time goes on, you're going to see that reflected in the workforce. And so, I was able to save really well and pay off my house and pay off any school debts that I had. We talk about similar ideas to what we did last episode, how they did it, their mindset, what their money is invested in, but also discuss what it is like as a woman, to have a career as a higher earner, and be able to build wealth. That's why I said $300,000 to $500,000. What would you tell them? Dr. Jim Dahle: My dad retired at that around 60 with sizeable net worth. Know what you're getting into. I can’t recommend it highly enough. All right. Jessica: And he read “Rich Dad Poor Dad” and just a fire lit up in him and he thought we're going to get into real estate. So, thank you to the podcast team for doing all this. We have a small HSA, a small emergency fund, and then our primary home is worth about $600,000 and that's almost paid off. . So, I think those in the trenches know being a parent is a hard job. I took out like loans, got plenty of scholarships. Second factor was hard work. So that helps.”. Woman millionaire: And I kind of focused on being a mom and parent. He makes a decent salary, but not quite the physician salary. My parents did pay for undergrad, which was very helpful, but it was very clear from early on that from graduate school I’d be on my own. It just takes time. If you speak up in a meeting, you're not just speaking for yourself, you are kind of in some sense, representing all of womenkind when you're the only one in the room. In those lower earning years in the beginning, I didn't have children yet. Dr. Jim Dahle: If you're looking at it every year, you're not going to see it jump a ton. And so, I've just begun my financial education in the last year I would say, maybe even a little longer but I don't claim to really have enough knowledge. Or is it investment properties or is it Bitcoin or what are the investments? My daughter's always like, when I was on a Dave Ramsey kick, she was always like, “Are we listening to the money guy again?” But we do try to talk about the value of money and we talk about saving. Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman physician millionaire 2: And about a third is in different types of real estate investments. Did you receive any sort of inheritance or other windfall? I agree to an extent. Dr. Jim Dahle: So, I was spending a lot more than I should have been just because the money was there. The women did bring up several points about sexism in their careers that hindered their ability to gain wealth. Woman physician millionaire 2: Keep your head up, your shoulders back. Where do we want to live? Dr. Jim Dahle: If you're not good with money yet you can certainly learn it later on. Dr. Jim Dahle: Dr. Jim Dahle: Woman physician millionaire 4: You can make a lot of mistakes and still be okay in the end. Dr. Jim Dahle: The financially independent part. Most doctors basically don't have any savings until at least they're a resident, if not the time they become an attending, but you started very young actually. Similar numbers for your husband? Take a look at the blog. And we didn't take a lot of family trips. And congratulations on your success. All right. It is so much fun. A lot of medical centers have actually designated workers to operate as assistants in these hospitals. I don't have to worry about getting sued or CYA. It started in May of 2011. Thomas Westerman Wolf (born November 17, 1948) is an American politician and businessman who has served as the 47th governor of Pennsylvania since January 20, 2015. They don't seem to be really big on spending a lot money, it isn't a large part of their life.
2020 physician assistant millionaire