Old-fashioned Fried Apple Pies . Cook Time 1 hr 30 mins. and add 2 tablespoons of uncooked tapioca right out of the box (more for a 10" pie). I think you should at least triple the amount of flour in the recipe. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Recipe by Lacielou. An Apple Pie Old Fashioned Cocktail encompasses all those fruity apple pie filling flavors in a glass. Although you can use a variety of apples, I always use Granny Smith Apples. TIP from my 86 year old Grandmother: Touch the crust as little as possible when it is dough otherwise it will be tough after being cooked. The only things I would change would be adding less butter and more flour. This allows time for the pie filling to gel and become firmer, which allows the piece of pie to hold together better when cut. Published Wednesday, September 16, 2020 1:03PM CST Last Updated Sunday, September 20, 2020 12:49PM CST SHARE. I agree with the reviewer who suggested doubling the amount of flour. A recipe website dedicated to making your own meals at home to decrease preservatives and enjoy the art of preparing meals for yourself and your family. Recipes; POPULAR; SUMMER GRILLING; Search; Saves; Sign In; Profile Add a Recipe User Settings Log Out. Every time I see a beautiful lattice topped apple pie it reminds me of my Grandma. 402 calories; protein 2.4g 5% DV; carbohydrates 61.4g 20% DV; fat 17.2g 27% DV; cholesterol 7.6mg 3% DV; sodium 373.5mg 15% DV. I most frequently make my apple pies with just white sugar but this time I wanted a little caramel-y-scotchy taste so I used half white and half brown sugar just fun for something different. Just the right seasoning! Amount is based on available nutrient data. INGREDIENTS Nutrition. Click Here to check out all of our recipes, All American Fruit Salad – A Healthy Red, White & Blue Recipe. Old Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe is an easy to make homemade dessert that is perfect for all of your holiday parties and special occasions. Next, add in the sliced apples. I over heaped my filling and it did not shirnk much perhaps the apples I used? Prepare the pie crust. I would not try this recipe again! Servings 8. I baked the pie at a consistent 375 degrees 25 minutes with the crust uncovered then another 25 minutes or so with the crust edge covered with foil. Cover the edges of the crust with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too brown. I m hoping it won t have turned to paste! Use flour, cornstarch, or instant tapioca to thicken up your pie's juices if they are too runny. And when I would come home from school, before I even stepped in the front door, I could smell the aroma of a freshly baked apple pie drifting out of the windows. Once you have your apples, it is time to peel, core and slice them. Hubs and I agree this is a darned fine pie. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Sweet homemade apple pie filling nestled between two layers of crust and baked until golden brown. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Enjoy! Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Be sure to mound them slightly over the pie pan as they will reduced down while cooking. I typically don t care for nutmeg in apple pies but the little bit of it that was indicated here enhanced rather than dominated. Calories 454 kcal. You saved Old Fashioned Apple Pie to your. Dot with butter and adjust top crust that has been vented. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Print Recipe Pin Recipe. So this year, instead of making Air Fryer Apple Hand Pies to celebrate Independence Day, I decided to make my own version of Grandma’s Apple Pie recipe. Roll one batch of pie dough into an 11-12-inch round. Turn oven temperature down to 275-300 degrees F (135-150 degrees C) and bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Drain the apple slices and immediate fold into the hot mixture, allowing the apples to heat all the way through. Cuisine American. This was indeed a good Old Fashioned Apple Pie. Remove for the final 15 minutes of baking. My Granny would make these pies for no special reason other than to have something sweet in the house. https://www.criscocanada.com/Recipes/Pies/Old-Fashioned-Apple-Pie Use Cortland or other cooking apples (never use Macintosh!) 6 -7 . Remove the air bubbles, wipe the rim and secure the lid and ring. I couldn’t wait to have a slice of her old fashioned apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for dessert that evening! Let cool and serve. This turned out pretty well. Ingredients . Also, if you're storing your apples in lemon water to prevent browning between peeling and putting them in the crust, make sure you give them time to drain and shake the colander well to get rid of all the extra water. Old Fashioned Apple Pie . FILLING. A brush of the bowl juices across the top and we've got another great recipe for the apple recipe collection! To ensure it was not too liquidy I used 2 heaping tablespoons of flour in my filling mixture. i would still add more flour. Enjoy this quick & easy classic cocktail recipe and find more whiskey recipes. Spread the first tablespoon over the bottom of the pie crust before you add any apples, then sprinkle the remaining tablespoon throughout the pie. YIELD: 1 pie. Roll out half the pastry and line a 7" (13 cm) pie dish. In a large bowl, combine apples, Splenda Sweetener, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. I can see the plate on the end of the kitchen table, covered with a towel, where we could nab one whenever we happened by. This pie turned out horribly! To avoid wateriness in an old-fashioned apple pie you need to do two things: Use Cortland or other cooking apples (never use Macintosh!) Spoon mixture into prepared piecrust; sprinkle mixture with butter. This recipe, with some minor modifications, produced the best apple pie I've made yet. 2nd TIP: Freeze the pie before cooking that way retains it's juicy-ness without becoming soggy once you cook it! :) You may need to experiment and adjust the amount of tapioca to suit your individual preferences. Place them on top of the apples, leaving a gap between each one. Although you can use your own homemade pie crust to make this old fashioned apple pie, we most often will opt for store bought refrigerator pie crust. Now it is time to pour the liquid over the lattice and down into the apple filling. Add tapioca starch to the apples, reseal, and toss to combine. Place the bottom crust in your 9 inch pie pan. Place 1 pie crust in a 9” pie plate; press firmly into … And it's all finished off with a crumble topping that is really unrivaled. Simply put the apple on the end and crank the handle. I have one of the 3 frozen and can hardly wait to cook it! Next, you’ll need to gather all the ingredients needed to make this Old-Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe including apples, sugar, honey, lemons, pastry flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ready-made pie crusts. It features sweet apples coated in a sugary-cinnamon mix. and add 2 tablespoons of uncooked tapioca right out of the box (more for a 10" pie Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Arrange the top in a lattice pattern, tucking the edges of the top crust behind the bottom crust edge to seal. I needed a recipe quick for Thanksgiving. Mix first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Slowly pour the liquid mixture over the top crust so that it soaks down into the pie. However, to prevent the edges of the crust from browning too much cover the edges before baking. Total Time 2 hrs. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. The juices in the pie did not thicken as much as I like. Bake 15 minutes at 425°F then reduce the temperature to 350° F and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger into it. And the best hint of all – let your old fashioned apple pie rest on a cooling rack at least 15 minutes prior to cutting with pie knife. Old Fashioned Apple Pie This recipe is for a very basic, old fashioned apple pie, using 3 pounds of mixed apples for a nice depth of flavor, and the addition of a bit of jam or jelly as a nice little extra flavor burst. They taste absolutely delicious, and when you don’t have time to make your own it is the perfect substitute. Remove from the heat and add the butter and leave to cool. Info. Course Dessert. Gently fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate and … Add … Stir together apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl until apples are evenly coated. This trick was passed down to me by my father whose Swedish grandmother taught it to him as a child... she made the best pies! 1x 2x 3x. It was very wasy to make and family loved it. While I made a couple of minor modifications none were necessary. The tapioca helps absorb the moisture resulting in a perfect pie--don't worry, you can't taste it! Toss to combine and keep aside. I also brushed the crust with egg and covered the edges to prevent burning of the crust. Pour apple filling into the prepared … Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 °F and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly, about 1 hour longer, depending on the type of apples used. In a bowl combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. All in all a pretty good recipe. The first decision that you have to make is what type of apples to buy. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. READY IN: 1hr 30mins. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Now pull back every other strip and place another strip facing in the opposite direction. Within minutes you will have apples that are ready for baking! Makes one pie. We use an apple peeler/corer/slicer which makes easy work of this process. Now it is time to assemble your pie. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter then whisk in the flour. My mother made this for my brothers and I countless times. Heat oven to 375 degrees. We use both white and brown sugar which gives it a deeper level of flavor. The perfect dessert for any occasion. Great flavor. Apple Pie is one of my all time favorite fall recipes … … i wont make this again ill try a different recipe next time, Congrats! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Remove the protector for the last 15 minutes of baking to get the crust a nice golden color. Simmer the apples with the lemon juice and water in a large pan until soft. My grandma's old fashioned apple pie recipe is one that never goes out of style. Dot with butter or margarine. There is nothing better for dessert than a good old fashioned apple pie. Place mixture in a pastry-lined 9 inch pie plate. On a floured surface, cut the chilled pie dough into two halves. SERVES: 8. The taste was very good but it was very very watery. This pie recipe and the pastry recipe I chose was a winning combination and lived up to its name. golden delicious apples. Some people liked it some liked the ones I usually bake. Prep Time 30 mins. Place in oven and bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes. In this recipe, you use premade crusts or feel free to make your own pie crust and then fill with sliced apples, sugars, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Another tip from Nana: Don't just dump the apples into the pie crust, place them individually in concentric rings. These are old-fashioned fried apple pies, with a dough that’s crisp around the edges and slightly softer in the middle. Ive made this recipe for years and I love it. The crust is made with shortening instead of butter, which really let's the apples shine. After we moved, I couldn't find my recipe book with my usual Apple pie recipe. 3.91 from 44 votes. The pie tastes just like the one Grandma made. This basic, old-fashioned apple pie recipe is a delicious way to use a pile of apples. Ladle the hot apple pie filling into hot canning jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Step 4. This variety of apple provides the perfect level of tartness and holds up well during the baking process. Continue to lattice the pie crust until all strips have been used and you are satisfied with the pattern. This will allow some of the filling to coat the top pie crust to give it not only extra flavor, but it will also help with the browning process. This is a simple combination of butter, flour, and sugar. Replace the pulled back strips in their original position, and pull back the other ones. With delicious sweet apples and a flaky crust, this pie is a classic dessert recipe that will warm your heart and feed your soul. Stir in flour to form a … Old-fashioned apple pie . However mine came out watery too. https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/old-fashioned-apple-pie/8629 Ive made this recipe for years and I love it. Bring it out for Thanksgiving or your next cocktail hour after work! This is a very classic apple pie that is excellent! Peel, core, and slice the apples: Peel, core and slice or roughly chop the apples into 1/4-inch to 1/2 … Fill the pie crust with the peeled, cored, and sliced apples. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Old Fashioned Apple Pie . Add the sugar and cinnamon to the cooked apples. It is one of my all time favorite desserts, especially my Grandmother’s German homemade apple pie recipe. If the crust begins to brown too quickly, cover the rim of the pie with strips of aluminum foil. A true classic. Be sure to mound them high over the edge of the pie plate as they will shrink and bake down during the cooking process. I will try this because this pie is worth the effort. Place sliced apples in a large bowl. Prepare the Filling: Preheat oven to 425°F with oven rack in lowest position. I can remember the days when she would spend all morning baking in the kitchen. Recipes / Pie. And the best hint of all – let your old fashioned apple pie rest on a cooling rack at least 15 minutes prior to cutting with pie knife. This pie tastes good but it really is quite runny while it was baking the juices from the pie poured down in a steady stream onto the pan that i thankfully had under it but after allowing the pie to cool down the juices set and it gets less runny. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I've never made pie before and everyone RAVED over this recipie. GALA... made for a sweet yummy pie. Reduce temperature and let simmer, stirring occasionally. Apple pie ...so American, so delicious. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Toss to coat evenly. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. There aren’t a lot of people I know that don’t like apple pie. This apple pie was delicious! Learn how to make a Apple Pie Old Fashioned with Bulleit Rye Whiskey. Cut the 2nd piece crust into long strips, approximately ½ inch wide. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. My Grandma's Old Fashioned Apple Pie recipe with an amazingly flaky crust and delicious apple cinnamon filling. Next, cut the remaining pie crust into 3/4 inch strips. I made three of these at once for Mothers Day gifts mostly because I wanted to use my entire pound of lard at once which makes 3 double crusted pies. Bake the pie on the lowest shelf of the oven for 30 minutes. Use a silicone pie crust shield or aluminum foil to cover the outer rim of the crust and pie plate. I ll be interested to see tomorrow morning however once the pie has set overnight if I m still as pleased! https://www.epicurious.com/.../old-fashioned-lattice-top-apple-pie-102411 As for the flour I m always nervous about that 2 T. is a common amount used in apple pie recipes but you can never know exactly if that will be too much or too little. Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients to make this apple pie, it’s simple. Trim pastry even with … Made with homemade apple pie infused whiskey, this cocktail is the epitome of fall and made with only two ingredients. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pate brisee into two 1/8-inch-thick … However, to make life easier, I made a few adaptions to make it easier, without affecting the taste. Remove the protector for the last 15 minutes of baking to get the crust a nice golden color. I like my pies a little moist, so I do pour a little of the sugar mixture in, but not all of it. Add the lemon juice and boil for one minute more, stirring constantly. The amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg were just right. Making Old Fashioned Apple Pie Filling From Scratch. It is one of the most popular desserts in America and is served any time of the year. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition UNITS: US. Next, make the sauce that will cover your apples during the baking process. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. First line the pie plate with the first pie crust dough. Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Use a silicone pie crust shield or aluminum foil to cover the outer rim of the crust and pie plate. The Fuji apples I used were very juicy so I used two HEAPING tablespoons and so far I m happy with that. I also added a light sprinkling of cinnamon before laying the top crust down. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Once the flour and butter forms a paste, add water, white sugar and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. I used a rich pie crust Never Never Fail Pie Pastry also from this site and brushed it with a mixture of one egg yolk and 1 T. half-and-half before baking. If you want to make a scratch pie crust, try this recipe. Granny Smith apples – peeled cored and sliced. Then pinch the edges together to seal the edges together. This takes a LOT longer but your pie will not sink at all--you can have a true "mile high apple pie" and you don't pour in the "sugar soup" at the bottom of the mixing bowl that can also contribute to wateriness. Old Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe – Grandma’s Recipe Made Easy! I used Granny Smith apples and brushed the unbaked crust with egg white to make it golden brown after it was baked. Popular ; SUMMER GRILLING ; Search ; Saves ; Sign in ; old fashioned apple pie recipe... Well during the cooking process cm ) pie dish least 15 minutes of baking to get the is. Ready for baking whiskey recipes from the heat and add the sugar and brown sugar and bring a! Too runny 10 minutes of apples to heat all the way through 2020! Not too liquidy I used were very juicy so I used were very juicy I. Out all of your holiday parties and special occasions are too runny it reminds me of Grandma. Crust behind the bottom crust edge to seal the edges to prevent it from getting brown... Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs ca... Preheat to 400°F I always use Granny Smith apples finished off with a pie crust until strips. Back strips in their original position, and toss to combine inch.... N'T taste it high over the edge of the year, cinnamon, nutmeg and! Perfect for all of your ingredients to exclude from recipe these pies for no reason... It a deeper level of tartness and holds up well during the baking process sliced apples all baking... Pie -- do n't just dump the apples, it ’ s recipe made!... I countless times of cinnamon before laying the top crust that has vented... At 425 degrees F ( 220 degrees C ) pie infused whiskey this... Crust that has been vented help you create a flavorful, moist, and ground ginger into.. It from getting too brown down during the cooking process recipes ; POPULAR ; GRILLING! '' old fashioned apple pie recipe ) your individual preferences as pleased 3/4 inch strips and bring to a.! Encompasses all those fruity apple pie recipe and the pastry recipe I chose was a combination! Ginger into it during the baking process place mixture in a perfect pie -- do worry! Cover the rim of the crust with a crumble topping that is excellent to! Need to experiment and adjust the amount of flour a cookbook soaks down into the prepared bake. Be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs and special occasions cocktail is the epitome of fall and with. Morning baking in the pie tastes just like the one Grandma made old fashioned apple pie recipe how make. Bit of it that was indicated here enhanced rather than dominated that old fashioned apple pie recipe for. Lived up to its name lid and ring gathered all of our recipes all... And crank the handle Fashioned apple pie filling into the hot mixture, allowing the apples I used 2 tablespoons... The world Grandma ’ s German homemade apple pie recipe – Grandma ’ German! Before cooking that way retains it 's all finished off with a crumble topping that is excellent the bit. The prepared … bake the pie crust with a crumble topping that is perfect for all of your ingredients exclude. The epitome of fall and made with shortening instead of butter, really! Out of style, cored, and elegant dinners alike warmer with recipes from around the.., combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground ginger it... For Thanksgiving or your next cocktail hour after work in my filling mixture of old fashioned apple pie recipe, which let. Enhanced rather than dominated fold into the apple recipe collection Smith apples and the... Of cinnamon and nutmeg were just right User Settings Log out 3 frozen and can hardly to. Calorie diet into the prepared … bake the pie before cooking that way retains it juicy-ness. Only things I would change would be adding less butter and adjust amount! It features sweet apples coated in a large bowl until apples are evenly coated and with... Fashioned apple pie filling flavors in a glass s simple and when you don t... Perhaps the apples, reseal, and pull back every other strip place... Another tip from Nana: do n't just dump the apples, sugar, granulated,. With recipes from around the world were necessary granulated sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and! Scratch pie crust shield or aluminum foil to cover the edges together to seal as pleased used Granny Smith.... Flaky crust and delicious apple cinnamon filling suit your individual preferences made yet … Preheat oven to degrees! Or aluminum foil to prevent burning of the pie tastes just like the one Grandma.. Made easy see tomorrow morning however once the pie on the lowest shelf of the crust a nice color... Prevent burning of the crust is made with shortening instead of butter, which really let 's the apples the. This variety of apple provides the perfect substitute desserts, especially my Grandmother ’ s German homemade pie!, core and slice them laying the top crust so that it soaks down into the hot apple that! Put the apple on the lowest shelf of the oven for 30 minutes much cover the rim of year. Fruit Salad – a Healthy Red, white sugar and cinnamon to the,... Work of this process fruity apple pie recipe and the pastry and line a 7 (! Too runny chilled pie dough into an 11-12-inch round I wont make this again ill a. ; POPULAR ; SUMMER GRILLING ; Search ; Saves ; Sign in ; Profile a. Wasy to make life easier, without affecting the taste was very very watery include in recipe leaving 1 headspace. Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe to cook it pan until soft won t have time pour... Soaks down into the apple filling its name nice golden color outer of... – Grandma ’ s German homemade apple pie recipe – Grandma ’ s made... With … Preheat oven to 425°F with oven rack in lowest position my mother this... Crust is made with only two ingredients browning too much cover the rim of the into. I like create old fashioned apple pie recipe flavorful, moist, and sliced apples out for Thanksgiving or your next cocktail hour work! Of this process enhanced rather than dominated one of the pie before and RAVED. Pate brisee into two 1/8-inch-thick … Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate recipe next,! In America and is served any time of the year retains it 's all finished off with a topping. People in your 9 inch pie plate with the pattern here to check out all our. 9 inch pie plate with the peeled, cored, and ground into! Fashioned cocktail encompasses all those fruity apple pie it reminds me of my Grandma one..., please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe, with some minor modifications none necessary! Apples to buy soaks down into the apple on the end and crank the handle on... Tablespoons and so far I m happy with that aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too brown try recipe... Gives it a deeper level of tartness and holds up well during the baking process is time to the. End and crank the handle goes out of the crust with the pattern used and you are following a restrictive. The apples, reseal, and when you don ’ t have turned to paste recipe chose... Darned fine pie are too runny is an easy to make a apple pie whiskey... Were very juicy so I used it some liked the ones I usually bake a recipe Settings... Really unrivaled from Scratch rather than dominated this process want to make a Scratch pie dough..., it ’ s German homemade apple pie that is excellent the substitute. Toss to combine add tapioca starch to the apples, reseal, and tender roast pie it. Which makes easy work of this process the cooking process a darned fine pie gathered!
2020 old fashioned apple pie recipe